Friday, August 20, 2010

FOOTBALL FRIDAY NIGHT

Football Friday Night FFN has been a part of my life for 50 years.
First as a Shelby High Golden Lion sitting with my dad on the 50 yard
line in the reserved section. Later, FFN leaned to the left where the
junior high crowd hung out. Then we leaned to the right during high
school as part of the marching band. We stood up and cheered 'we're not
rough, we're not tough, we're just Shelby High struutin' our stuff'


When I first moved to Gastonia, FFN was alive and well. Most of the church
kids went to Ashbrook and a cute coach from Grier sat on top of the
pressbox which was added incentive to be there. When Charlie and I first
started dating we kept it pretty quite till we showed up at the Huss vs.
Ashbrook game for football friday night!


Throughout Charlie's coaching career I wore red and black as a South Point red raider and Columbia blue and navy as a Hunter Huss Huskie. I sat through rain, lopsided
victories, stinging defeats, a play-off game in the mountains that was
freezing, and the hot, muggy nights of August.


I couldn't begin to count the many church members I have supported as players, coaches, referees, cheerleaders, band members, ticket takers, concession stand servers or
spectators. And yet 50 years later, that FFN rush fills the air and I still love it. Tonite we are going to Clover vs South Point. But the best part is we get to go out to eat before the game, and when we get ready to leave we can. And watch the rest of it on ............Foooootballll Friday Night.
--beckygreene

No comments:

Post a Comment