Monday, September 13, 2010

9-11 IN NEW YORK CITY

What an amazing experience to be at the US OPEN WOMEN'S FINALS in New York City on Sept. 11 2010. Navy servicemen in their dress blues unfurled the American flag over the entire tennis court. Chaka Kaun asked everyone in the stadium to pause in a moment of silence.

I prayed for understanding, Peace, those who lost loved ones and those who live in fear. I also gave thanks for the many blessings that I have in my life. I was particularly grateful that in the secular atmosphere of a professional tennis match, a sabbath moment was observed.

I quickly thought about how the invocations at our high school football games have been eliminated. It seems to me our youth have been cheated out of one of the basic moral fibers of our country. When I participated in high school athletics it was a privilege of students and community leaders to be asked to deliver the invocation. I wonder if the students and fans could vote, how many would be in favor of beginning each game with sabbath, silence, prayer?

I am hopeful that this trend does not lead us to eliminate the playing of our national anthem before sporting events. Had that been the case in New York, 23,000 spectators would have missed the awesome display of respect and loyalty on Sept. 11, 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, remember prayers before games and prayers before the band marched. They were simple and heartfelt. We prayer for total recall, good sportsmanship and no injuries. How sad that our youth miss these moments of pure faith and pure love.

    ReplyDelete