Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It's the Little Things that Get Me!

Easter Sunday Afternoon, Catherine and I were sitting outside in the sun and were surprised by the over-abundant camellia bush at the side of the house. I must admit I have a "black thumb" so anything alive and blooming on my property is the result of someone else's hard work and TLC. However, I love fresh flowers, something I grew accustomed to from my mother's flower beds. Even after I moved to Gastonia, she continued to cut fresh flowers and arrange beautiful bouquets throughout my house. I continued this tradition for Catherine as she was growing up. She grew accustomed to having fresh flowers on her dresser. Catherine commented that MaMaw B. would really love those flowers and that she would light up if she saw them. Maybe that is the memory which made me get up from my comfy chair, go inside to get snips and cut some of the pretty camellia blooms. I brought them inside and found a small vase for the bright fuchsia blooms. I placed the vase on Mother's dresser and returned to my afternoon in the sun. Later in the evening, Mother came to my bedroom door and said "Bec, thank you for the flowers, they are beautiful." Wow! I almost lost it. My 88 year old mother stiffened by arthritis and debilitated by dementia was mobile and crystal clear with her expression of thought. I don't understand dementia. It has robbed my mother of so much quality of life, but for that glimpse of "my mother", I will be eternally grateful. And during the difficult days, I will recall her deep, abiding faith. I will also go back to the creaking door and Mother's deep voice saying, "Bec, thank you for the flowers, they are beautiful!" It's the little things that getme when I least expect it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG--this is so Mom and me. She always put fresh flowers in my room when I lived at home and she had something blooming year round. I am like you --BIG BLACK THUMB!! I cut my VERY few flowers in my yard and take them to Mom because it is what she loves best (besides her children)!!!

    ReplyDelete