Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March Madness

The liturgical calendar of Lent always coincides with the NCAA College Basketball's March Madness. Recently, my 88 year old mother and I were watching a game and she commented on the size of the crowd. "Wouldn't a preacher love to have that many in church on Sunday?" Despite the havoc dementia has wreaked on her mind, she was spot on with that observation. Similarly, years ago, my father(now deceased) became agitated with members of his congregation who complained when the church service "ran long." He was old in years, but wise in counsel when he said, "at a ballgame we cheer for it to go into overtime! While at church, we become irritated with OT. "

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy basketball, March Madness, college crowds
and overtime, but like my parents I wish the church was the recipient of this same passion and desire that drives the NCAA Tournament.



Good luck to the Lady Jaguars in your quest for a 3A NC State Title!

1 comment:

  1. Also, remember we use to talk about how people would pay extraordinary amounts of money to sit courtside or in a luxury box at a ballgame, but very few wanted to sit on the first few rows of pews at church on a Sunday morning?

    I, like you, love college sports. However, I also appreciate my faith and wish people valued their faith as much as they do their favorite team!

    I love you, Mom! Thanks for instilling in me the importance of my faith!

    -Catherine

    ReplyDelete