Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Monday Reflections

Jesus is GREAT!
      
"In God we LIVE and MOVE and have our being." Acts 17:28

     We began the day with Maggie Christy and Jake Rowe's Morning Glow. This consisted of a "get-to-know you" game where you answered questions after catching a ball. After a completion percentage of 64%, we stopped the game.  After they challenged us to live and move through the game, they shared with us the verse above from Acts.  We left with a wristband, which included our scripture, to remind us of the mandate throughout the work day.  

      Following Morning Glow, we set out to our work sites which included UMC Children's Services, where we pulled weeds, stained porches, and built elevated gardens. The interactions with the locals were organic and friendly. One of the young boys helped us stain a house and in return we helped fix his broken bike. It's surprising how friendly people are when you sit down and relate to them.

     One group went to Hunger Task Force Farm, where they picked up rocks so they would not destroy the machinery used to harvest crops. Sounded awesome and super entertaining. Jacob claimed, "It was a great time and was a lot more fun than it sounds." They also dug up weeds in the cabbage and cauliflower gardens to help the plants live. After much thought, Joseph Buckner remarked, "It gave me great joy to know that I was preparing a field to plant food for the hungry."
     
     The last group went to an art gallery to work with Muneer, an aspiring local artist. They created three tiles, one for themselves, one for the UMC Children's Services, and one for our church. One of the exercises involved a journaling project which represents the hopes and visions for the communities.  These tiles will be placed on peace posts in each of these communities and it is our hope that they bring joy to all who encounter them.  Graham Hunter stated, "Ummmm, it was amazing. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the project and thought the pop-up garden near the gallery was fantabulous." The pop-up garden was created to orchestrate peace.  The vision in this neighborhood is that it will grow and be beautified to create a sense of harmony & peace.

      After a great workday and showers, we ate at local legend Culver's, which had some awesome cheeseburgers and chicken, not to mention the insane custard. Not only was the food amazing, it was neat to learn that Mr. Culver is United Methodist and gives generously to the United Methodist Children's Services.

     After getting back to the church, we played taps (which got a little intense) and began a devotion.  We first began with an icebreaker and then divided into our work teams.  In our teams we shared our joys, anxious feelings and grateful times throughout the day.  We then shared with the group so that they could have a better understanding of what we did and what they will do in future days.  Following this activity, we broke into our work teams for tomorrow and discussed how we should look at things differently in our work settings tomorrow.  Then, to set the tone for our devotion, Luke led us in a dance party to the song "Happy"!  This was hilarious and challenged us to listen to the lyrics differently.  The verse that stood out the most was "Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth!" Our verse tonight was John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. Nobody comes to Father except through me." Becky talked about how God is moving in our lives. There is a difference between A TRUTH (which is a temporary situation based on condition) and THE TRUTH (which is that God has a plan that is eternal). 

     Our journaling tonight was various questions. One of our youth wrote it in a poem form and would like to share.

"God is moving in my life.
I feel him with me.
Cheering me on, telling me to do the impossible.
God is moving in my life.
I know he's calling me.
Telling me me to go for what I love.
He knows the things in my heart before I do.
God is moving in my life.
I hear him telling me to change.
Pointing me in the direction that will make me who I am.
He knows what and who I should be.
God is moving in my life."

-Camille Young

Goodnight! Sleeptight! 

Blogging done by: Jacob Hord, Drew Jurs and Camille Young. 

No comments:

Post a Comment