Monday, June 23, 2014

Surely the Presence

As I sat in Stuart Auditorium for the opening worship service of the WNC Annual Conference, I was once again inspired by this sacred space.  I can hear the brush of angels wings, I see glory on each face and I know that surely The Lord is in this holy place.

I related to Dr. Cam West's message that those of us in ministry must be a little crazy and dead serious about our work at the same time.  I beamed with pride of being a United Methodist.

Then came time for the offering and I got out my few one dollar bills.  My rationale - I have given to "Imagine No Malaria" so many times 2) we just did this at our church and 3) I tore my meniscus and had surgery raising money for this campaign and now I have my own medical bills.  A
nd then I looked at the banner on stage and saw our theme "extravagant generosity." Who was I kidding?  How many times have I splurged on myself?  Three dollars won't even buy one malaria net!  How can I talk to our youth about a lifestyle of service if I jump at the chance to skimp on malaria nets?

As Dr. West reminds us, the truth speaks and we make excuses.  I was demonstrating his point to perfection.  I ashamedly returned the dollar bills to my purse and grabbed a $20 bill   to deliver to the offering plate.  I know my dad is smiling down on me because he taught me forty years ago about giving from the top, not the leftover.  Since I came from a United Methodist family, I grew up attending annual conference with my dad, who was a member of the laity.  Leave it to God to have me return to this sacred space for another teachable moment.

Surely the presence of The Lord is in this place, and in each of our actions demonstrating extravagant generosity!


No comments:

Post a Comment