Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Are you kinder than a sixth grader?

On a recent fall retreat, our students viewed the promotional video for American Street Kid produced by Michael Leoni (www.americanstreetkid.com). Also serving on that production team is Rebecca Black, a former FUMC youth group member. The offering we received on that retreat was sent to support this project. When we returned from this trip, this project was tucked away in a file, but the memory lingered in the mind of a certain sixth grader. So much so, that this past Sunday Sophie handed me an envelope designated for American Street Kid. In my haste of Sunday morning activities I took the envelope put it aside and tucked this moment away; only to have the moment re-opened later that day by Lisa, Sophie's mom. "Did Sophie give you the money?" "Yes," I said matter of factly. "Wasn't that awesome" Lisa asked? I responded with a puzzled look, not with words.

It seems Sophie had a birthday party on Saturday night and instead of unwrapping presents for herself, she collected money from her friends for a project which had touched her heart; American Street Kid!

I pulled the envelope back out to find $190.00. There were one's, five's, ten's, and twenty's from these precious children. Overwhelmed with the extravagant generosity, I immediately emailed Rebecca. She too was overcome with emotion. I knew I must share this humble servant's story because the kindness of this sixth grader is fueled by a deep spiritual connection to a God who loves us extravagantly. Sophie is not a seasonal "do gooder". Like other virtues, natural generosity must be practiced regularly in order for it to translate into a character trait. This begs the question for each of us to search our souls and ask, "Am I kinder, more generous, more loving, more Christ like, than a sixth grader?"

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is awesome. I must say I'm not surprised, knowing Sophie's amazing family. Really makes you think...

    ReplyDelete