Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest. -Hebrews 3:1

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:14

      In the second quarter of the Carolina football game, the quarterback threw a long pass and the defensive back and wide receiver jockeyed for king of the field. The d-back tipped the ball as the UNC receiver fell to the ground, an incomplete pass was sure to be signaled. Somehow, the Carolina player managed to catch the football as it was falling to the ground. Unbelievable!  The crowd erupted in jubilation. It was an awesome catch, but his concentration was even more amazing. He never lost sight of the ultimate goal: to catch the ball.  

      As the re-play was captured on the Jumbotron, it occurred to me how eerily similar it resembled our game of life. As Christians, we need to maintain a supreme focus on Jesus, prayer and scripture, but all too often there are distractions, tipped balls and interferences with those goals.  I am embarrassed to say that I probably have more incomplete passes at Christ-likeness, than  I do completions.  So my short-term commitment is to sharpen my exclusive attention to the characteristics of Christ. It won't be easy when I am stumbling, or when someone is intentionally distracting me, but just like the receiver, I am determined to catch the prize.


Dear Father, 
Help me seek undistracted communion with you each and every day.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment