Friday, February 24, 2012

Angels by My Side

One of my friends who has finished her cancer treatments shared some things with me that she has learned during this time. As she commented on her network of friends being instrumental in her journey, I too began to think about the angels by my side during my mother's recent illness and death. I want to share my reflections with you.

A text or phone call(even when I didn't answer), cards in the mail, gift cards for nights Charlie or others didn't cook, cleaning my house, taking mother a "happy meal", sitting with her in rehab,visits to the hospital and emergency room, fresh flowers, pulling up the carpet, teaching Sunday school, leading prayer breakfast, hosting UMYF, prayer chains, pintos and cornbread like my mother made, taking me to Charlotte or Catherine to Chapel Hill, laughter, tears, being at the funeral, childhood friends, feeling the love of two church families, reading my mind, decorating my Christmas tree, thanksgiving meal on wheels, riding the bus to be there for me, understanding when being present was the best I could do and not expecting anything more,navigating medical and financial decisions that were beyond my comprehension, encouraging tweets, writing on cat's wall, filling our fridge and freezer(most unusual sight),loving mamaw as your own, making new friends, going the distance to show us how much we are loved.

In scripture we find that Jesus knows our needs before we even ask. Thank you to everyone who showed me the face of Jesus. You knew my needs before I even asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment