Monday, May 16, 2011

Steadfast Love

As Holden and Anna were baptised on Sunday, I was reminded that as christians we promise with every baptism to help raise each other's children as followers of Jesus.


In my home church, the adults took this role seriously. Mr. Hamrick was just as likely to call me down for running in the hall as my own dad. Parents had each other's kids over for Sunday dinner and we played till time to go back to church. And when one of the teens broke a window out in my dad's store (which was beside the church), because he hit the ball so hard, my dad didn't chew him out, he said "I'm going to tell the high school coach what a good hitter you are. the adults who were mentors to me loved me and cared that I loved God. This is the kind of role models Holden and Anna need in their life.


Next Sunday a new class of confirmands will join the church and publicly proclaim their desire to be a disciple. The National Study of Youth and religion believes parents "get what they are" religiously. And likewise, our confirmands will mirror the goals, lifestyles, practices and problems of other adults who are helping to raise them. So, be in church this Sunday, May 22, and when we promise to nurture these children with steadfast love, let's accept this responsibility with the convictions of Mr. Hamrick, my parents, and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment