Monday, December 20, 2010

CHRISTMAS GIFTS THAT WON'T BREAK

I received one of those from Alaska this week! When the package came to the front door, I looked at the return address. It read 'ak' I'm so up on things I called Catherine to see if she knew anyone in Arkansas. She informed me 'ak' was Alaska and then I was really stumped. So I proceeded to open the package.

Inside was an American flag with a certificate of authenticity to Mr and Mrs Greene. My first thoughts were skeptical (they didn't even have our first names) as I read the declaration. It had flown in actual combat in Afghanistan.(right) But then my eyes drifted to the person who sent the package. It was a young lady that I had followed through elementary, middle and high school who is now serving in the military. I have no clue why she chose me to be the recipient of such a special gift. Could it be that I shared gifts with her that won't break as she was growing up and she is now returning the favor. At least that's what I believe.

We can never know the impact we have on a child. And it is the simple gifts that matter, unconditional love, respect, hope,joy and peace. And she will never know how my heart was warmed on that cold December day.

Yes, it came in a box but it was packed with wishes of love, hope, joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment